Thursday 17 February 2011

Waking from Winter





I've been ignoring my allotment recently. It's either raining, or I have a cold- excuses, excuses. February seems to do everything it can to make me hate being outdoors. But it won't win!

I've been reading the two volume opus that is 'Tender' by Nigel Slater. It has had the effect of making me put on my wellies and start dealing with the wasteland which is plot 51. Amazing what the prospect of a home grown asparagus tart can do.
Anyway, as you can see, it looks a bit unloved, but there are signs of stirring. The rhubarb is beginning to show through. I cleared up the patch, and was very pleased to notice that the alpine strawberries are really beginning to get a hold here.




I spent a couple of hours tidying, and found some spuds and parsnips to bring home. The salads and broad beans are starting in the greenhouse too. Oh, and garlic!

Maybe it's not so bad after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment