Tuesday 29 June 2010

At the Allotment

I was down at the allotment until 10:30 the other night. I can't tear myself away at this time of year. These are last years parsnips in full flower. I'm saving seeds for next years crop and the bees are getting a feast into the bargain.

The flower border is coming on, still as scraggy and shaggy as ever, but these 'Knautia Macedonica' add a good splash of colour.

Just picked- the first crop of broad beans. I absolutely love them!

And finally, the strawberries are in full production. I have no idea why I grow so many. I'm already heartily sick of them. We've had smoothies, crumble, cupcakes and fruit leather made from them in the past week. Still, the freezer is taking the strain now, and I'm sure I'll appreciate this in the coming months.
If anyone has a favourite strawberry variety I'd love to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. Just made the easiest strawberry jam which is DELICIOUS and which will keep little jeweled pots of summer loveliness in your cupboard right through winter. Also great gifts. You'll need a big pan, jam sugar (from Morrisons or similar), water, strawberries and lemon juice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou! This is my next mission!!

    ReplyDelete